WHIPLASH AND MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS:
It’s that season again unfortunately. Winter has arrived way too soon and the roads and weather become a daily topic of conversation bringing with it whiplash injuries. Fender benders increase in numbers causing various injuries, whiplash being a main one. This causes severe to mild neck pain with or without painful movements of the neck. Whiplash symptoms can also vary from headaches, neck pain, back pain, dizziness, and vertigo. Sometimes whiplash injuries are associated with concussion due to your body and brain within your skull still moving while your vehicle comes to a sudden and unexpected stop. Activities of daily living can be impacted as well.
Whiplash and neck injuries are nothing to treat lightly. They can become a chronic issue over time if not treated. Early intervention will help prevent long-term negative implications and chronic pain.
Causes of whiplash:
Whiplash is caused by a sudden violent jerking of the neck. Experts agree that whiplash causes injury to the muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs, and small joints of the spine. Fortunately, most whiplash injuries aren’t serious and often recover in a few weeks. A small percentage of people can have persisting symptoms that last several months but more serious injuries (e.g., fractures, nerve injuries) are not common.
How Brentwood Physiotherapists and Massage Therapists can help you:
Our Physiotherapists are highly skilled at examining and treating whiplash. Research shows that getting your neck moving soon after the injury speeds up recovery. Rest can cause more stiffness, increased muscle weakness and delayed recovery. Your physiotherapist will help you improve your neck strength and range of movement. Treatment may include:
- Education in posture and positioning to manage pain
- Specific exercises to reduce pain, restore mobility and strength
- Manual therapy treatments to reduce pain, restore mobility
- Modalities (e.g., acupuncture, electrical simulation, heat, cold) for temporary pain relief
- Rehabilitation program to safely prepare you for return to normal activity, sport or work
Your Brentwood physiotherapist will:
- Perform a thorough assessment
- Screen out more serious injuries that require medical follow-up and advocate for you
- Educate you regarding your injuries and provide advice to alleviate your pain immediately
- Develop a treatment plan tailored to you, depending on the situation and time since the accident
Do not wait. Call Brentwood Physiotherapy Clinic at North Hill Mall in the Professional Offices where our team of experienced physiotherapists, vestibular therapists, acupunturists and massage therapists can help you return to your regular lifestyle. Don’t let a car accident get in the way of you leading a healthy and active lifestyle.