Causes of whiplash
Whiplash is caused by a sudden violent jerking of the neck. Experts agree that whiplash causes injury to the muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs, and small joints of the spine. Fortunately most whiplash injuries aren’t serious and often recover in a few weeks. A small percentage of people can have persisting symptoms that last several months but more serious injuries (e.g., fractures, nerve injuries) are not common.
How can we help at Brentwood Physiotherapy Clinic?
Our Physiotherapists are highly skilled at examining and treating whiplash. Research shows that getting your neck moving soon after the injury speeds up recovery. Rest can cause more stiffness, increased muscle weakness and delayed recovery. Your physiotherapist will help you improve your neck’s strength and movement. Treatment may include:
- Education in posture and positioning to manage pain
- Specific exercises to reduce pain, restore mobility and strength
- Manual therapy treatments to reduce pain, restore mobility
- Modalities (e.g., acupuncture, electrical simulation, heat, cold) for temporary pain relief
- Rehabilitation program to safely prepare you for return to normal activity, sport or work
Your physiotherapist will:
- Ask questions and observe how your neck is aligned, moves and where it hurts
- Screen out more serious injuries that require medical follow-up
- Examine the area, test range of motion, muscle strength, and perform special tests asses nerve function
- Develop a treatment plan tailored to you, depending on the situation and time since the accident
Call us now to live your life pain free
courtesy Physiotherapy AB College and Association