In today’s world of cars, video games, TV’s, computers, and processed food,we are not getting enough exercise. Research indicates that over half of Canada’s children and youth are not active enough for optimal health. Inactivity puts us at risk for chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity.
Brentwood Physiotherapy Clinic supports Canada’s Guide to Physical Activity for Children and Adults and encourages us all to get active and involved in some kind of daily physical activity.
Here are some quick tips.
- Aim to do at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day.
- Set realistic time-frames (20 minutes) when starting out.
- Increase the activities over time.
- The most important thing is to do something.
- Pick fun activities like biking, swimming, hiking, playing in the park, playing sports, walking to work or school, tobogganing, skating, dancing.
- Do the activities with the kids – be a role model.
Regular physical activity helps to:
- Improve fitness
- Improve coordination
- Promote healthy bone and joint development
- Increase self-esteem
- Improve concentration and learning